Potatoes are one of the foods with very high nutritional value, and potato sprouting is also a common problem. Everyone knows that potatoes cannot be eaten when they sprout, but it is a pity to throw them away, so many people are more concerned about the sprouted potatoes. Let’s understand together whether is it ok to eat potatoes that have sprouted?.
Can you eat potatoes when they have sprouted?
What are the hazards of eating sprouted potatoes?
Eating a very small amount of Solanine is not harmful to the human body, but if you eat 200-500 mg of Solanine at a time, it may cause poisoning. Therefore, after eating sprouted potatoes, symptoms of food poisoning such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dizziness, and difficulty breathing may occur. After germinated potatoes are processed to remove the buds, there may still be solanine remaining in the green tubers, which can also cause poisoning, so it is not suitable to eat germinated potatoes.
How to prevent potatoes from sprouting
- Put it in a straw bag, a sack, or a basket filled with pad paper. Put the potatoes into straw bags, sack bags, or baskets with paper cushions, sprinkle a layer of dry sand on top, and store them in a cool, dry place. Can delay the germination of potatoes.
- Put the immature potatoes together. Put potatoes in old cartons and put a few immature ones in the old cartoons. These potatoes will emit some ethylene gas during the ripening process, which can keep the potatoes fresh for a long time.
- Do not use dense plastic bags when storing. The use of dense plastic bags will not allow air to flow, causing the carbon dioxide exhaled by the potatoes to not be discharged into the air, thereby increasing the temperature around the potatoes and increasing the germination rate.
- Store in the cellar. If conditions permit, you can dig a small cellar to make the temperature appropriate, and ventilate every few days, so that the potatoes can be stored for several months. Putting potatoes in a low temperature, ventilated, dry place, and avoiding sunlight, can extend the storage period of potatoes.
- Avoid light. Avoiding light is the so-called dark place. The first condition for potato germination is light. If it is cut off from the light, the chance of it germinating will become very small.